Saturday 19 May 2007

No more Neighbours on the BBC!

I know it's not the most worthy topic for a Blog post, but it's something I do feel strongly about - I'm absolutely gutted at the news that Neighbours has gone to Channel 5!

Before you dismiss me as some daft soap-watching female, I feel I should make it clear that I've never been one for watching soaps in general - I don't watch Eastenders, Emmerdale, Brookside or Corrie. I can't stand Hollyoaks and never liked Home and Away. Neighbours is like my guilty wee vice, something I can't explain (it's not high class drama, it's not got any kind of deep plot). Those who worked with me in Paisley knew that I even managed to construct my day so that I got to have my lunch and watch Neighbours (they also know how grumpy I could get if I missed it or if someone came in and - the horror - talked over it!).

I've grown up with Neighbours being at a fixed time in a fixed place (disrupted only by inconveniences like Wimbledon, bank holidays and Christmas). Importantly, there are no adverts to irritate devotees.

I don't watch a lot of tv; when I do I turn to the BBC for news and politics shows, HIGNFY, Dr Who, and Match of the Day.
Therefore, Neighbours represents a huge chunk of where I feel my licence fee goes. The BBC and Neighbours are so closely linked that I feel it's a huge shame that they have chosen to dump it after 21 years. I think they don't quite realise what they had, and what they have now lost. Michael Grade would never have let it happen!

No comments: