Thursday 5 March 2009

Breaking new ground


I was pleased to attend Thenew Housing Association's groundbreaking ceremony for a new housing development in my ward, on land at the triangle formed by Baltic Street, Albany Street and Dunn Street. Staff were telling me that, while they've taken on the ownership of existing housing in the area, these were the first houses they were building themselves in this part of the city. A lot of the cases I get at my surgeries are housing - related, so these twenty four extra homes will make a difference.

It was also fascinating to hear from one of Thenew's committee members who remembered the street when it last had homes on it back in the 1960s.

Thenew were also having a drop in for people in the Calton later that day to show their plans for new housing on London Road and Green Street. I've heard some constituents are uneasy about one aspect of these plans, a purpose-built unit to be run by Aberlour Child Care Trust. I've visited one of their projects, and was very impressed by the safe and secure service they provide. I appreciate local people might be concerned and uncertain about this; I'm happy to meet up with them to discuss the plans further.

No comments: