Friday 25 January 2008

Happy Burns Night!

Just about to go cook my Haggis, so thought I'd wish you all a good Burns night. The Burns supper is an event I really enjoy, and I'll be attending one tomorrow night. Enjoying warm comfort food, a dram, good company and good entertainment is perhaps not particular to Scotland, but the national (and international) celebration of a poet is definitely remarkable.

My own understanding of Burns came from the passion of one particular english teacher, whose enthusiasm for the bard had our Higher class transfixed. He could explain all the nuances, pick out the strengths and weaknesses of each poem, and make Burns' work relevant to a bunch of teenagers from Carluke. I'm incredibly grateful to him for this and always remember his teachings, and in particular his Tam O'Shanter, at this time of year. I hope he's performing somewhere tonight; I'm sure Burns would have liked his rendition.

No comments: